Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Communication

Communicating with some teenagers is almost like communicating with a toddler.

  • children at any age understand what you are saying even though they don't respond the way you want them to
  • speak slowly and clearly to your teenager -- keep it simple and straight to the point
  • encourage your teenager to respond or join in the conversation
  • wait patiently for a response
  • children are sometimes preoccupied and may throw talking to you to the bottom of the list
  • continue to communicate with your teenager they will come back around

I say this because I am teaching my 19 year old daughter to drive. She has a learning permit, (temporary license)  and I constantly have to explain to her why the answer is no whenever she asks to drive my car on her own as if she has a driver's license.
Communication is the key!

1 comment:

  1. This is a great blog, and I salute you. Having more than one teenager at once is tough. Especially boys, because I know we like to eat. But considering we all were a teenager at once, we all understand what it was like. It may not be the same, but we all were there. In this day in age, communication is key. Verbal communication skills because in this technological era, kids do not know how to hold a conversation face to face anymore. You are doing a great job in raising them, and they sound like they are being raised similar to how I was raised.

    ReplyDelete